You are just an excellent. I like reading whatever you write. For this post, I just want to say WOW…
Why Choose an Organic Cotton Baby Carrier?
- Organic cotton doesn’t use GMO (genetically modified organism) seeds.
- Herbicides are not used. Weed removal is done physically through manual removal, hoeing and cultivation.
- Crops are rotated and have better water retention, building the soil instead of depleting it.
- Insecticides are never used, so beneficial insects are not killed.
- Pesticides are not used.
- Instead of aerial spraying (red baron style), which may be harmful to workers, wild animals, and others, organic cotton fields will sometimes include “trap crops,” which are planted to naturally lure insects away from the cotton.
- Cotton harvesters may rely on the natural seasonal freeze for defoliation (getting the cotton off of the plant) or may simulate the process by spraying water.
- Buying organic helps organic farming grow.
The fiber is most often spun into yarn or thread and used to make a soft, breathable textile. The use of cotton for fabric is known to date to prehistoric times; fragments of cotton fabric dated from 5000 BC have been excavated in Mexico and the Indus Valley Civilization (modern day Pakistan).
Interesting Debra also says: "The problem with cotton fabric is the finishes, such as a permanent press finish, which releases formaldehyde. Most fabrics of any kind have a "sizing" applied, which washes out in the first wash. Five washes is plenty to remove sizing, but no amount of washing removes permanent press".
You also mention it is no problem as the chemicals are washed out but a baby carrier is often not washed as often and probably not before the first wearing... Nicolay www.kids-organic.com
@volvo duo prop you are right
@Nicolay Kreidler Thank you for your comment! Permanent press finishes are only applied to wrinkle free garments, like "no iron slacks." Formaldehyde presses are not used in the baby industry. None of the cotton used to make either our wrap or carrier is ever permanent pressed. All of our cotton is free of formaldehyde. Hope that helps clarify some things Nicolay!